Wednesday 23 June 2010

Scottish Fashion Awards: What I wore & FOTN

So when I was initially invited to the Scottish Fashion Awards asides from jumping up and down yelping like an excitable oompa loompa ... I made a conscious desicion not to panic over what to wear.

At the end of the day, no one would know who I was or be interested in taking my photo. There was no need to worry. Honest.

Well fast forward to Sunday 20th June, sitting in a hair salon having my hair lacquered into oblivion as I gulped back tears of regret. The thing is I wanted to turn up on the evening looking effortlessly chic ... not high from the fumes of hairspray with a contrived but bedraggled barnet. To be fair I did ask for a messy up do so I had only myself to blame for the stiff birds nest I left with.

With an hour left to spare I had to get home, tweak the barnet and apply my face. With 60 short minutes everything seemed to take so much longer than usual. An eyeshadow disaster (thanks to a dirty make up brush) and some botched false lashes later, I turned out this...FACE:
Mac Strobe Cream as a base
Estee Lauder Double Wear in fresco
Bobbi Brown Creamy Concealer in warm ivory
CHEEKS:
Nars Laguna Bronzer
Bobbi Brown Apricot blush (my hg)
Topshop highlighter in sunbeam
EYES:
Urban Decay Shroom and Madhatter from the Alice in Wonderland Palette
Mac Vanilla to highlight
Clarins Mascara
Mac false lashes No.43
Bobbi Brown gel liner in caviar
Benefit Eyebright on waterline
LIPS:
Mac Angel
Dolce & Gabbana lipgloss in Candy

Also after some twitter debate, it was decided that Mac Vintage Vamp would be the nail colour of choice for the evening. It took about 4 coats but it looked lovely in the end.

As for my outfit - I made a decision to wear this French Connection dress right from the start. FC can always be trusted to turn out a stylish dress or two ... and this is no exception. It is quite new but I believe it is now on sale for half price, sods law eh? It's basically a classic LBD with a little twist of lace inserts on the chest, back and sleeves. The shape of the dress reminds me a little of Roland Mouret and is very flattering. Insert photo of very awkward posing:
I teamed the dress with Christian Louboutin Titi's which absolutely crippled my feet! Sob Sob. After long deliberation and twitter advice, I opted for a plain black leather bag. Nothing else seemed to look right. The only accessory was a large russian cocktail ring as the dress does most of the work itself.

When it was time to go, I forgot about the dodgily coiffed hair and mucky eye make up - I was just too damn excited! Can you tell?
x

10 comments:

  1. You look A-MAY-ZING!! Gorgeous, love the shoes! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. pheeew! ... and now I know :)

    hmm, bobbi brown blush in apricot you say? ...*plans quick trip to house of fraser*

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with @loveaudrey,you do look amazing :D oh and i absolutely adore that french connection dress :D stunning :D.Ox

    StopAndStareStyle - need your help,doing a blog renovation and would love some advice (info in the most recent post published) thankyou :).Ox

    ReplyDelete
  4. aw wow you look fab!!! hope you had a great time! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You looked absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look incredible sweetie, I LOVE that dress, SO much! xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Saskia, lovely to meet you too x
    But we know you loved meeting Paolo more.
    How are your poor feet, are they still hurting?

    Queen Marie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. you look lovely, gorgeous dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. your so gorgeous! i love your dress it is very flattering and loving the lace! you sexy woman! lol! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for all the lovely comments - making me blush and thankful that you have never seen me without make up! ;) xx

    @Queen Marie ...yes my feet are still suffering the consequences of those evil shoes! x

    ReplyDelete