Monday 28 June 2010

'The Show' @ The Lansdowne

Last week I was invited along as part of the West End Festival, to a charity fashion show at the Lansdowne Bar & Kitchen in the West End of Glasgow.

(For any Weegies reading, the Lansdowne is a great bar with good food, chat and atmosphere so check it out if you get the chance)

The Fashion show was simply titled 'The Show' and was raising money for Cancer Research by inviting some of the city's top designers to showcase their work. The catwalk shows presented an eclectic mix of fashion and textiles ranging from sophisticated to wacky to downright awesome!

From memory there was 11 designers showcasing their talent on the runway but I thought I would share with you some that really caught my attention.


Hilary LaingSo I managed to cut the head off the model but you really only want to see the clothes so stop giving me a hard time already ;)

Hilary is a printed fashion designer whose inspiration comes from children:
'My work is very much a personal response to children and their outlook on life through their use of colour and mark making techniques. I want people to enjoy wearing my colourful quirky pieces and the main aim is to make people smile inside.'

I love her scribble print dresses, socks & tights which I find so sweet, slightly kitsch and most definitely make me smile. I need this print in my life. As well as clothing there is also a selection of jewellery and undergarments in her collection ... I especially love her bow panties. You can find out more about Hilary Laing on her website, http://www.hilarylaing.com/newSite/

Alan Moore - Ten30

Ten30 are a womenswear brand who use bold, graphic and co
lorful designs to create unique and eyecatching garments.
I fell in love with one dress in particular - one, because it was modelled by Paolo Nutini's girlfriend who I had 'celeb' spotted from last weeks awards and two, it reminded me a little of a Victoria Beckham dress .... only edgier and ten times better. Now being the terrible photographer I am I didn't catch a good enough shot of it so here it is straight from the Ten30 website.

I adore this dress it's just so sexy but very very wearable. I also loved this printed jacket below, the vibrancy of the colours is gorgeous.

Find out more about Ten30 at http://www.ten30.co.uk/


haraS - Sarah Milne

I loved the almost bondage like dresses on display from haraS but even more so the thought provoking images on the catwalk and message behind the concept:

'Traditional notions of "beauty" are challenged, provoking questions over what is and can be beautiful. Resisting the ideal, "beauty" is presented as a truth that allows us to see reality.'

All the models wore eerie mouth masks befitting of the truth of "beauty" concept. They were quite creepy to look at but I couldn't keep my eyes off them.
I have been unable to trace a website for Sarah but I do believe she has a facebook page with her designs.

Jen Groundwater - Charmes Jolie

Finally, accessory designer Jen Groundwater presented a gorgeous display of headpieces and jewellery. Inspired by folklore, souvenirs and the tradition of lace making, each piece is unique, quirky and utterly divine.
I love these headpieces that really remind me of spanish mantilla combs. I love the delicacy and detail of mantilla combs which this headwear emulates perfectly.A particular pair of lace cut out earrings (i think they may have been made from acrylic) really caught my eye at the show. They were for sale afterwards but regrettably I didn't buy them so will be on the hunt for them again as soon as payday rocks around.

Again, I can't seem to find a website for Jen but sure she has a facebook page with her portfolio of work.

This was a great show which most importantly did a lot to raise a substantial sum of money for Cancer Research.

x

1 comment: