Wednesday 16 June 2010

The most important real woman in my life ...My sister

Essentials magazine are looking to make real women a large focus of their editorial because real women need celebrating! They are looking to have more real women star in their magazine whether they be models, contributing to editorial or telling their own inspirational stories. This got me thinking who in my life has inspired me ...

A 'late' baby. That's what they called me. The youngest of 3 siblings (2 sisters and a brother) and the accidental product of a couple who were old enough to know better!

Margaret, my oldest sister was 24 when I was born and was already a Mother herself. I remember learning of her jealousy when I arrived into this world ... her solution was to have another baby of her own. A nephew for me who would become my childhood buddy along with his older brother.

My first memory of Margaret is sitting in the back seat of her car with my 2 nephews singing Bros' 'When Will I be Famous?' at the top of our voices. Margaret, of course joined in with us at the chorus. You see the thing about my sister is that she has a huge personality. Everywhere she goes, people are drawn to her. She has an infectious character and a witty sense of humour, always happy and full of energy.


(Margaret with her 2 golden boys, Adam & Simon)


As a child I was banned from watching Dirty Dancing but the dance scenes were just too exciting to miss out on so my sister would put it on video and fast forward to those scenes to let me watch as long as I didn't tell Mum and Dad ... what a rebel!

I used to get Margaret's hand-me-down make up as a child which I loved to play with and create different looks on myself. She was oh so glamorous and always had a wardrobe full of beautiful garments, according to some people I have morphed into a mini-Margaret. I guess there is no denying her influence on me - I wouldn't be writing a beauty/style blog otherwise. We share a lot in common, we both love a bit of glamour and dressing up, we are both creative and love writing and reading, we both have a habit of changing our names (currently she is known as Marnie) ... and lately I have inherited her same cackle of a laugh! You've got to take the rough with the smooth I guess!!

The thing is, I remember Margaret ... or should that be Marnie, as a jovial, outgoing character, full of life and energy. What I didn't quite realise at the time was my sister was going through a tough divorce and as a young woman she was now left to bring up her 2 sons on her own. I had no inkling back then of how hard times must have been for her or what devastation she must be feeling. I was only a child.
Only as an adult can I appreciate what my sister must have went through at such a young age to deal with a traumatic separation with 2 young children involved. The strength she had to hold it all together must have been immense. She was so driven and motivated, she kept her head up and enrolled at college and gained an art qualification which led to her starting up her own line in greetings cards. Giving up was never an option.

It took real strength and determination for Margaret to get through tough times yet stay smiling and upbeat for the sake of her family. Margaret has been an inspiration to me not only through our shared interest in all things bling but she has taught me life lessons like strength, perseverance and determination are vital in our individual journey's as well as kindness and generosity.

What my sister has taught me is something that I can't find in a celebrity or on the front cover of a magazine. It's the importance of who we are on the inside, how we treat others and how we cope in the face of adversity. She is a real woman who has touched my life. She is my real life Star!

Who is the most important real woman in your life?



Calling all real women - whatever your size, shape, height, or age essentials magazine needs you! If you would like to appear in a glossy womens lifestyle magazine this is your chance to shine! Simply visit www.goodtoknow.co.uk/essentials for further details on how to enter, and follow the campaign on our Facebook and Twitter pages…we can't wait to hear from you.


x

7 comments:

  1. Your sister sounds amazing and I know lots of women who, unfortunately, have been left in similar situations. I want to see more real women in magazines so am glad that essentials is going to be doing this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really is a great post about your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really interesting post, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm like you, a late baby with a big sister who would let me watch dirty dancing. I would say the most important woman in my life is my mum, she is always there for me. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww,thats such a sweet story about your sister :D.And thankyou for notifying me about the "essentials magazine" editorial,i would be interested in participating :).Ox

    StopAndStareStyle

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous tribute to your sister and so beautifully written x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful story, sounds like one very amazing lady your sister, I would say it would have to be my Mum who is my inspiration, she knows when to be there and when not to lol.

    ReplyDelete