Sunday 23 January 2011

Grand Central - what I wore ... and MUFE HD thoughts

If you have read my previous post you will know I attended the launch party for the Grand Central Hotel this week.

It was a mid week affair and I had to quickly dash home to get changed before heading to the hotel.  Now, with a launch party like this there is no dress code stated ... I had no idea if it was as fancy as black tie or if it was simply smart casual.  I decided to go with smart casual basically because I had very little time to spruce myself up in between finishing work and arriving at the event.

It turned out many people had pulled out all the stops with their outfits with evening gowns strutting by me through the corridors but likewise many business people attending had obviously come straight from the office so in the end I think I struck a nice balance. 

I wore my River Island cropped leather trousers, Zara leopard print shoes, black Mango tee, Mango fitted blazer, my worn to death H&M faux fur stole and my everyday Balenciaga bag. 

Rabbit caught in the headlights!
It was a really comfortable choice but looking at this photo, something isn't quite right.  My face looks grey ... or even greige.  Looking back I thought that my make up brushes were to blame - they are long overdue a good wash - but I think the real culprit is my foundation. 

I decided to go for a change in  my foundation that evening and went with MUFE HD Foundation in shade 125.  I know this is a much loved foundation by beauty bloggers and I have always been quite partial to it myself.  Everything starts off well with this foundation, the packaging is sleek and comes with a pump which I think should be a must have for all foundations going forward.  However, I normally notice after a few hours wear I start to look really tired and my skin starts to look almost saggy as if my foundation is slipping off my face.  For this reason I tend to only wear it when I know I won't be out long enough for it to start looking tired. 

I now feel that maybe this foundation isn't worth the hype or the price seeing as I can only get a few hours decent wear out of it.  When first applied my skin looks lovely - it offers medium coverage which easily builds to full coverage if desired, it also gives a dewy effect without necessarily requiring a powder or blotting. 

One of the selling points about this foundation is that it is supposed to photograph well.  For me, this photo is evidence that I (personally) do not photograph well wearing it.  My skin looks washed out to the point of dull and I look like I have done 6 rounds with Tyson and need a week long kip.  I can even see that my eyeshadow and blush don't seem to sit well layered over it.

MUFE HD isn't the only foundation I have found that photographs badly on me, so too does Revlon Photoready - again a foundation whose selling point is that you photograph well in it.  Estee Lauder Double Wear also doesn't photograph well for me but is a foundation I adore ...and I just make sure I avoid camera's when wearing it ;)

At the moment I think I will stick to my Rituals foundation if I think I may face the camera lens but I am keen to investigate other foundations that work well in photographs?

What do you recommend?

x

10 comments:

  1. Your outfit looks fab - I wish I had the confidence to wear leather trousers!

    Personally I really like MUFE HD, although I do find it slightly hard to blend when first applied. I do think MUFE photographs better than Photoready though.

    Have you tried using a primer underneath? What powder are you using on top, as this can reflect in flashes?

    http://nude-obsession.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. U look stunning hun! lovely outfit, and looks to me like the perfect balance of smart casual. the fur stole makes it very glam! to be honest, i think your makeup looks pretty flawless, but its awful when you feel like its not quite right & very annoying when u can see it in photos...good luck with the hunt, im afraid im not much of a foundation wearer so no use to u!!xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a total foundation luddite so can't help there I'm afraid.

    But I wanted to say that I bought the H&M stole after seeing it on you and it's the best thing I've bought this winter - I adore it and will be sorry to retire it as and when Spring ever appears.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't help with foundation - sometimes my face just photographs better than others I think lol.

    You look fab! I'm another one with that stole. It's one of my best clothing buys for ages x

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Nude Obsession it was just my same powder i always wear, i've noticed this before with MUFE HD especially with looking tired thats why i stopped wearing for a while :( xx

    @PinkMademoiselle aw thank you very much ... it's funny how we probably see ourselves so different, i am probably overly critical xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Helen (Nice Things)Aaah I am so pleased to hear that and so glad you bought it and loved it - i would have been a bit embarrassed had you thrown it to the back of your wardrobe. I have hardly had it off this winter ... I haven't a clue what i will wear come spring, it's been the main thing for sprucing up any outfit for me xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. @LoubouLush yeah thats true, i do get good and bad days for photos in general!
    Yay another fur stole luvva! It's literally the best buy of 2010 for me xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the cropped leather trousers with the leopard print shoes. Right up my street as Cheryl would say! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! I have trousers and they are just so easy to weae...in fact my next outfit post will include them. The shoes are a nice touch too.

    Carol x
    www.mystylisms.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey x I know this is an old post (sorry just came across your blog and slightly addicted haha) but my favourite foundation to be photographed in is actually maybelline dream Matt mousse. I really don't know why, I'm a doublewear girl through and through (except when I'm feeling flash and go for ester Lauder renutriv foundation) and I don't like how the dream Matt mousse looks in person but for me personally it always photographs well.
    Much love,
    Roisin Elizabeth
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete